Monkepox: August 2022Posted on 10-08-2022 by Maria Hughes
We are pleased to inform you that this week the NHS in Birmingham and Solihull will be receiving a supply of preventative monkey pox vaccine.
As the initial supply is limited, it will be offered only to individuals who self-identify as gay, bisexual, transgender, or otherwise having sex with men AND report one or more of the following:
– are on PrEP (pre-exposure Prophylaxis for HIV Prevention)
– have been diagnosed with Chlamydia/Gonorrhoea/Syphilis or primary genital herpes in the past 12 months
– have had sex in a sex-on-premises venue (sauna, dark room, sex club, etc.) within the past 12 months
– have participated in group sex within the past 12 months
– have had ten or more sexual partners in the past year, or three or more sexual partners in the past three months
– engage in or participate in chemsex
If you want to book an appointment for a monkey pox vaccination, and meet the above requirements, please contact this number 0121 371 8445 (9.00-17.00, Monday-Friday) to book an appointment.
A member of the experienced NHS vaccination support team will ask you a number of questions to ensure your eligibility and your vaccination appointment will be booked for you.
You will not be able to access the vaccine without a booked appointment. If you don’t attend your appointment, it is unlikely you will be able to rebook until the next supply of vaccine is delivered.
If you do not meet the criteria, but still have concerns, please find more information that will hopefully help reassure you here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/monkeypox
If you have already received a vaccine, as part of your ongoing treatment, you will not be eligible for a second dose at this time.
We will keep you posted on timescales for future supplies and criteria as soon as we receive them.
Dr Justin Varney, Director of Public Health, will be holding a Q&A session on Thursday 11 August at The Penthouse at the Loft Lounge, 143 Bromsgrove Street, Birmingham, B5 6RG, from 6.30pm to 7.30pm. The event will also be livestreamed: you can join at: www.facebook.com/lgbtbirmingham/. We look forward to seeing you there.